Saturday, September 5, 2009

All That Glitters is Gold

Posted by Karly
Written May 13, 2009
(Sorry for the delay. I was out of the country, then I moved. It took awhile for the letter to catch up with me)

ALL THAT GLITTERS IS GOLD

First, let me preface this entry by saying that I believe people are born with a sexual preference and people don't choose to be gay or straight. And while I am straight, I admire those who embrace who they are even when it can be a more difficult path. I will continually fight for equal rights and think they gay marriage struggle in America has gone on way too long. That being said, I don't think I will continue the fight in Zambia.

In Zambia being gay doesn't really exist and if it did, it would be illegal. One of the good sides of this (if there could ever be one) is the fact that men can be as feminine as they like. Grown men can wear pink cheer camp t-shirts. Guys hold hands in public. Men can sing as high and as loud as they want, and basically act as openly gay as they wish to and no one assumes anything because there isn't even the question of gay or straight. As heart-breaking as it is to see a clearly gay man and know he will never accept a part of him, it still makes me smile just a bit when I see a man just flaunting it!

Today I walked past the most flamboyant bike I have ever seen. Now a lot of people in Zambia trick-out their bikes with reflectors or crazy mud flaps, but this one went above and beyond. It was wrapped in streamers, covered in fake flowers, and even had a pinwheel on the handlebars. The driver of said bike is part of the praise team at the Church of Destiny and when I walked into the church and saw him tuning a guitar-like instrument, I thought, "now there is a homosexual." I felt so bad for him knowing he could never truly be himself (with that said, I don't actually have any idea what the underground gay scene is. As far as I now, no one has heard of any. Lusaka might be a different story, but where I am, I think the chances are slim--but there must be something, right?) So I sat there thinking, "at least this boy can sing and no one will say anything," but he broke my heart.

Then a week later her passed me on the coolest bike ever! It happened while I was in a bad mood getting worse, and it turned my whole day. I mean, how can a grown man riding a mike with a pinwheel and so may shiny additions it glitters not make you smile?

If you've got it--flaunt it!

Love to all,
Stevie

No comments:

Post a Comment